Thursday, June 2, 2011

I have a Stripped hex screw on a brake caliper...How do I get it out???

I have a 1985 Cadillac Deville front disc brakes. While changing them I found out that the hex screw for the caliper is stripped. I tried just about everything. Any ideas or new options for me. The other side is done ready to go now I just need the passanger side. Thanks for all help.I have a Stripped hex screw on a brake caliper...How do I get it out???
You need a ease out parts store has them just tell him what has happen and he will get the right tool for you , You need to put pressure on it while you art turning, another is Clamp pliers if enough of the head is sticking out get a good bite on ti and turn slowly and put a little oil on it , hope this helpsI have a Stripped hex screw on a brake caliper...How do I get it out???
are the threads stripped?? or is the head stripped??I have a Stripped hex screw on a brake caliper...How do I get it out???
I'm not certain about Cadilacs, but alot of those clipers have Torqx Head screws, not Hex, if this is the case you coould have striped it trying to use a Hex. Anyway, you may need an extractor bit. the y have many different kinds, the best for you will be the kind that has wide reverse threads that set along the outside of the head and remove it like that.I have a Stripped hex screw on a brake caliper...How do I get it out???
There are special drill bits for that, but since you'll need to put another screw in afterwards, I would look for a replacement part from a car wrecker. ~I have a Stripped hex screw on a brake caliper...How do I get it out???
it should protrude enough for you to be able to get vice grips on it...but when you go back with it buy a new bolt...they have them at the auto parts store.



Been there done thatI have a Stripped hex screw on a brake caliper...How do I get it out???
If the head is stripped, use a screw extractor. You can buy them at any hardware store and you just drill a hole into the head an the screw extractor will thread in counterclockwise and lock to remove the screw.



If it is a protruding head screw use a pair of good vise grips.I have a Stripped hex screw on a brake caliper...How do I get it out???
I would weld a 1/4 inch nut on the hex screw and turn it out then replace with new. If you don't have access to a welder you could try JB Weld it is a 2 part epoxy that you could use to adhere a nut to the screw. In both cases be careful not to weld the screw to the caliper.