Thursday, June 2, 2011

Servicing my car brakes - how does this tool work?

Hi,



I've got a MK4 VW Golf. Soon I need to do service the brakes with new discs and pads.



1) I know I'm going to need a brake calliper piston rewind tool to do my brake change, but can you please tell me how this tool works?



http://www.toolsnstuff.co.uk/product_inf



All I can see is a little square thing... can't work out how it would push the calliper back.



2) Also.. would this be a better tool for the job? (At least I can see roughly how it works in principle)

http://www.toolsnstuff.co.uk/product_inf



3) And finally (sorry)... is this for a different aspect of servcing the brakes, or is it another calliper rewind tool?

http://www.toolsnstuff.co.uk/product_inf



Thanks if you can help a bit. :)Servicing my car brakes - how does this tool work?
The first 2 are for REAR disc brakes. The front disc calipers just needs to be pressed. The rear disc brakes calipers needs to be pressed AND twisted. If you try to just press the rear disc brakes (without twisting them), you will break them (as in DAMAGE THEM).



The first tool is UNIVERSAL in that there are 6 sides and each side fits different kind / make of rear disc brakes. Trust me when I say, THEY SUCK. You have to twist them (using a ratchet wrench) AND press hard with your wrist and arms.



Get the second kind. You'll thank me later.

===

The third kind is for high performance caliper that has multiple calipers (on both sides of the disc). With those kinds a regular cheap C-clamp type don't work.



Good Luck



===

Don't forget to vote for the BEST ANSWER - please - whoever it may be.



FACT: You also get +3 points when you vote for BEST ANSWERServicing my car brakes - how does this tool work?
a simple %26quot;c %26quot; clamp (big enough) will do the trick. those tools the garages or dealers sell you, don't buy them. remember, those guys work off commission, buy yourself a big %26quot;C%26quot; clamp down at Lowes or home depot for 15 bucks. They have worked well for me for 20 years.Servicing my car brakes - how does this tool work?
buy your self a manual for the car it will tell you all you need to know and what tools you needServicing my car brakes - how does this tool work?
Number 2 is the best tool for spinning in your rear calipers. number 3 is for calipers that don't have to be spun in. you shouldn't have to get No. 3. You can use a big crescent wrench or a small pry bar to get the front pistons to retract.Servicing my car brakes - how does this tool work?
use a G clamp. so far I've never got a caliper that you can't push the pistons back with one, easy to use and cheap as chips.