Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How necessary is the dust cover that surrounds my back rotors?

I've recently been doing some work on my car. Im changing out the back disc brakes. I noticed there was a really rusted out peice of metal that connected to the car just behind the wheel hub and behind the e brake area. I dont konw what its called. But it comes up behind the rotor and pans out and kind of surrounds the rotor. I was wondering if this is a necessary part to replace. It seems like a dealer only item, as ive looked around for it online. My guess is that its only purpose is to catch the brake pad dust so that it doesnt get the wheel rims all dirty, but im not sure. Maybe it also keeps junk from getting into the e brake area from the interior side of the wheel? I really dont konw. But I was wondering if anyone knew the name of this part and could give me advice on whether or not its a necessary part to replace. Thank youHow necessary is the dust cover that surrounds my back rotors?
those are backing plates. they were put there for a reason. they help to keep stuff off the rotors and helps to cool the rotors.How necessary is the dust cover that surrounds my back rotors?
it is called a %26quot;Backing Plate%26quot; and I would leave it on....How necessary is the dust cover that surrounds my back rotors?
It is usually designed in such a way that it also channels air across the rotors to keep them cool. I'd check the local junkyard for a set if the dealer wants too much. Good luck.